The East Gymnasium at the Wushan Campus, also known as the Old Gym, was finished building in 1937. The idea of architecture, created by Guan Yizhou and Yu Qingjiang, two renowned architects at the time, was a combination of the western classical architectural theme with Chinese traditional elements.
In 1952, it was the venue of the opening ceremony of the South China Institute of Technology, which was renamed the South China University of Technology in 1988. In 2007, the gymnasium was listed by the Guangzhou government as one of the city’s Cultural Heritage Buildings. It now functions as a multi-purpose building, with the newly renovated SCUT Cinema built inside it.
Photo by Kang Haotian
Edited by Xu Peimu
From the SCUT News Network