Chapter 1 General
Article 1 Association Name: This association is named Alumni Association, South China University of Technology.（Abbreviation: AASCUT）
Article 2 Character: AASCUT is a non- profit social organization formed by SCUT alumni and sanctioned by the Civil Affairs Administration of the Guangdong Provincial Government.
Article 3 The tenet of AASCUT is to organize activities under the leadership of CPC, within the scope of the Constitution and state laws. The aim of the activities is to intensify relationships among the alumni and those between the alma mater and branch associations at home and abroad, to inherit and develop good traditions and to make contributions to the development of SCUT and the Constitution of the country.
Article 4 AASCUT works under the leadership of the University Work Committee of Guangdong CPC Committee, and under the supervision of the Societies Registration and Management Office of the Provincial Civil Affairs Department.
Article 5 The Association is located in Building No.2 of SCUT on Wushan Road, Guangzhou.
Chapter 2 Range of Business
Article 6 The main business includes:
1. Intensification of relations between alumni both at home and abroad, making efforts to promote academic exchanges and friendship.
2. Organization of relationship-based activities.
3. Informing the alumni at home and abroad of recent developments in matters concerning the alumni, the alumni association and the alma mater.
4. Inviting alumni to visit the alma mater.
5. Informing the alumni of the scientific and technological achievement of SCUT and recommending high-level talents.
Chapter 3 Members
Article 7 Members of AASCUT are:
1. Persons who have studied for more than one year in SCUT, including undergraduates, postgraduates, commuter students, night class students and students from abroad.
2. Persons who had studied before 1952 in Sun Yat-Sen University, Lingnan University, Technical College of South China United University, Nanchang University, Hunan University, or the Chemical Engineering Department of Guangxi University.
3. Regular faculty and staff members who have worked in SCUT or the above mentioned universities.
4. Regular faculty and staff members who have worked in units affiliated to SCUT.
5. Past-time professors and honorary professors ever engaged by SCUT.
Article 8 The members shall be persons who:
1. Support the Regulations of AASCUT.
2. Participate in the local AASCUT organizations.
3. Cherish the actual desire to become a member of AASCUT.
4. Pay the stipulated fees.
Article 9 Admissions Procedure:
1. Submit an application.
2. Be approved by the Council
3. Produce relevant SCUT certificates.
4. Be granted the Membership Card by the Council or a local association.
Article 10 Privileges of the Members
1. To vote, to elect and to be elected.
2. To join in activities organized by AASCUT.
3. To have the priority to take advantage of services offered by AASCUT.
4. To criticize, propose and supervise.
5. To have the freedom to join the Association or to withdraw from it.
Article 11 Obligations of the Members
1. To carry out the resolutions of AASCUT.
2. To protect the legal rights of AASCUT.
3. To support and accomplish any work assigned by AASCUT.
4. To pay the stipulated fees.
5. To support the development of SCUT, supplying the latter with latest information about different issues.
6. To consciously promote the good traditions of SCUT.
Article 12 In case of withdrawal from AASCUT, the members shall inform the Association in writing the members shall inform the Association in writing and return the Membership Card.
Article 13 Organizational Structure an Persons in Change
Article 14 the supreme powers of AASCUT goes to the Congress, which shall exercise the following functions and powers:
1. Constitute and amend the articles of the Regulations of AASCUT and establish the Congress program.
2. Select by vote the Chairman, Vice-Chairman and the Council.
3. Examine the work and finance reports of the council.]
4. Determine any significant issues related with AASCUT.
5. During the session of the congress, set up the presidium for the conference and implement the conference agenda.
Article 15 AASCUT comprises a Council organized by alumni representatives, including a member of Honorary Chairman, a member of Consultants, a chairman, a member of Vice Chairman and Council members, a Secretary General and several Vice- Secretaries.
Article 16 The Congress is to be convened once every four years. Under special conditions, it may be advanced or postponed as decided by the Council with the approved of the Provincial Civil Affairs Administration after verification by the Provincial Education Administration.
Article 17 The number of representative from the local branch associations to attend the Congress is to be decided by the Council.
Article 18 The Congress is to be held only when more than two thirds of the representatives are present. Resolutions are passed by a vote of more than half of the representatives present.
Article 19 The Council is the executive department of AASCUT. During the adjournment of the Congress, the council programs, under the leadership of the Chairman, the routine and is responsible for implementing the resolutions and projects of the Congress. The Council meets at least once every year, and in case of necessity, can meet through communication means.
Article 20 The Council shall exercise the following functions and powers:
1. Implement the resolutions of the Congress.
2. Select by vote the Chairman, Vice-Chairman, Council members, and the Secretary General. The council has the power to remove the Chairman, Vice-Chairman and Secretary General..
3. Prepare for the Congress.
4. Report to the Congress about its work and financial affairs.
5. Make decisions concerning the accepting and expelling of the association members.
6. Make decisions concerning the setting up of routine offices and supervise their work.
7. Engage heads of the routine offices and invite prominent personages from among the alumni or from other sources to be Honorary Chairman and Consultation. The term of Chairman and Vice-Chairmen is four years, renewable on termination.
Article 21 The council is to be held only when more than two thirds of the members are present. Resolutions are passed by a vote of more than two thirds of the members present. Resolutions are passed by a vote of more than two thirds of the members present.
Article 22 The chairman, Vice-Chairmen, Standing Council Members, Council Members and Secretary General shall possess the following guidelines:
1. Upholding the line and policies of the Chinese Communist Party and Cherishing love of our country and SCUT.
2. Having sufficient influence among the alumni.
3. Being under the age of 70. The Secretary General shall work full time.
4. Having no criminal records.
5. Having complete ability for civil deeds.
Article 23 Persons over the age of 70 can be the Chairman, Vice- Chairmen or Secretary General only by obtaining a majority vote in the Council, and the approval of the Provincial Civil Affairs Administration after verification by the Provincial Education Administration.
Article 24 The term of the Chairman and Vice- Chairmen is four years, renewable for a maximum of two terms, further extension due to special circumstances shall be supported by more than two thirds of votes in the Congress and approved by the Provincial Civil Affairs Administration after verification by the Provincial Education Administration.
Article 25 The Chairman is the legal representative of AASCUT.
Article 26 The Chairman shall exercise the following functions and powers:
1. Convening and presiding over the Council.
2. Overseeing the implementation of the resolutions of the Congress and the Council.
3. Taking charge of AASCUT routine.
4. Signing relevant documents on behalf of ASSCUT.
Article 27 The secretary General shall exercise the following functions and powers:
1. Taking charge of the office work and implementing the annual projects.
2. Assisting the chairman, vice chairman and local branch associations in their work.
3. Dealing with the office routine.
4. Editing the “AASCUT Journal” and other publications of the association.
Article 28 The “AASCUT Journal” is to report the recent developments of SCUT, the activities of the local associations and the achievements of alumni individuals.
Article 29 Staff member of AASCUT are volunteers.
Chapter 5 Assets Management and utilization:
Article 30 AASCUT funds are from:
1. Membership fees.
2. Contributions from alumni at home and abroad and from relevant institutions.
3. SCUT allotments.
Article 31 AASCUT collects memberships fees in accordance with state laws and regulations.
Article 32 The funds are for the publication of the “AASCUT Journal,” for the convening of the council meetings, and for office expenditures. They are not to be shared among the members.
Article 33 AASCUT has a strict finance management system to ensure that all financial matters should be in conformity with standing regulations.
Article 34 AASCUT has provided a professionally qualified accountant and a cashier to implement the accounting supervision system. When the accounting personnel is not in office, any hand-over procedures shall be duly completed.
Article 35 The management of assets is subject to the control of the state finance management system and to the supervision of the AASCUT congress finance department. Assets from any sources shall be supervised by the auditing departments and made public to the Congress.
Article 36 In case of a change of AASCUT leading personnel or of the legal representative, AASCUT financial accounts shall be subject to auditing by the authorities concerned.
Article 37 AASCUT assets shall not be seized, privately divided on misappropriated by any institutions or individuals.
Article 38 The wages, insurance and other benefits of full-time staff of AASCUT shall be on the same basis as SCUT staff.
Chapter 6 Modification of the Articles of the Regulations
Article 39 Any modifications of the articles of the regulations shall be decided by the Council and passed by the Congress.
Article 40 The amended articles of the Regulations shall be submitted, within 15 days of passing by the Congress, to the Provincial Education Administration for verification and to the Provincial Civil Affairs Administration for approval.
Chapter 7 Termination Procedure and Assets Disposal
Article 41 The terminate the Association and its activities, the Council is to put forward a motion to this effect.
Article 42 The motion shall be passed by the Congress and submitted to the Provincial Education Administration for verification and to the Provincial Civil Affairs Administration for approval.
Article 43 Before the termination, a liquidation committee shall be set up under the direction of the Provincial Education Administration to liquidate the assets and settle the remaining issues.
Article 44 AASCUT terminates its activities after the procedure of writing off the register at the Provincial Civil Affairs Administration.
Article 45 In accordance with standing state regulations, residual assets after the termination shall be used for the development of SCUT and other alumni activities under the supervision of the authorities concerned.
Chapter 8 Supplementary Provisions
Article 46 The present Regulations were passed by the Congress on December 26, 2000. All previous regulations are declared null and void.
Article 47 The interpretation power for the articles of the Regulations belongs to the Council of AASCUT.
Article 48 The present Regulations take effect as of the date of approval by the Provincial Civil Affairs Administration.